Numerous issues emerged at the Bhutan Media Dialogue 2012 that just ended on May 10th. Participants were asked to identify the one burning issue or question conerning media in Bhutan. Some of them included:
• How can free expression be enjoyed and taken advatage of by the illiterate? • Mistakes made by young media, is that justified?
• How can media be accountable to its readers if they don;t depend on them but on the govt for viability?
• What are the limitations to free expression in Bhutan?
• Impatient news-breaking leads to half-baked information causing panic and confusion in society.
• Media need to bring up stories on poverty ore frequently .
• How strong is Bhutanese media as a watchdog? Cut down on the process of getting information in the bureaucracy,
• How can we open up society to speak up on national issues?
• while the press enjoy freedom of expression, they find it exceedingly difficult to get people to exercise their free speech in a small society.
What are your views on the one burning issue/ or question concerning media in Bhutan? Feedback is needed to keep this conversation going. We have dedicated journalists in Bhutan wanting to serve the public interest, how can we get the public to talk to media more?